Expand Your Education
The goal of myCHOICE Education programming is to help you develop specialized skills and knowledge through mini-courses and workshops. Designed and adapted for doctoral and post-doctoral trainees in STEM disciplines, our offerings range from five to fifteen hours in length and are generally held in the evenings or weekends to minimize the disruption for myCHOICE Trainees’ research activities.
Autumn Quarter 2020 Virtual Mini-Courses
Registration period: September 23rd – October 7th, 2020.
All sessions will be held by videoconference. By registering for a mini-course, you agree to fully engage in discussions, activities, and breakout groups, with your camera on.
- The Ethics of ‘Big Data Analytics’ in the Sciences
- How to Clearly Communicate Your Work to Any Audience (including individualized consultations)
- Emotional Intelligence: How EQ Trumps IQ
Requirements and Expectations of Education Participants
- Our mini-courses are designed for graduate and postdoctoral trainees in the BSD, PSD, and PME, and registration preference may be given to that audience. However, most mini-courses are open to all community members, regardless of division, employment/training status, or university affiliation.
- By enrolling in a mini-course, the Trainee is committing to attending ALL sessions of that course.
- By enrolling in a mini-course, the Trainee agrees to promptly complete surveys related to the course.
Previous E2 Mini-Courses
- Project Management Fundamentals for Scientists
- Strategies for Successful Team Management
- Intro to Clinical Trials and Bayesian Designs
- Agile Project Management: Scrum Bootcamp
- American Institute of Biological Sciences: Communication Bootcamp for Scientists
- Alan Alda Communicating Science Workshop
- Biomedical Science and Policy
- Business of Life Science — Financing Innovation
- Communications Bootcamp
- Conflict Management and Effective Communication
- Conquering Presentation Anxiety: Improv for Scientists
- Creating and Selling Your Story: An Entrepreneurial Approach to Communicating the Value of Your Research
- Course Design as a STEM Professor or Outreach Professional
- Dealing with the Elephant in the Room: How to Professionally Handle Difficult Situations
- Effective Writing in the Biological Sciences
- Elements of Successful Teaching in the Sciences
- Entering Mentoring
- Introduction to Analytics
- Introduction to Effective Teaching in STEM
- Introduction to Emerging Technologies
- Introduction to U.S. Regulatory Affairs
- Landscape of Science Policy 2018
- Language and Concepts of Business
- Leadership Excellence And Development
- Networking for Nerds
- Perfecting Your Pitch Presentation
- Scientific and Medical Articles: The Essentials
- Science Sketches…the two minute challenge!
- Scientific Teaching Workshop
- SciPhD: Preparing for Professional Careers
- Strategies and Processes of Negotiation
- The Art of Successful Grantsmanship: What You Need to Know Before You Write
- Unleashing Your Power as a Scientist: How to Make an Impact from Campus to Congress, in your Community and Corporate America
The myCHOICE program, and the general feeling of positivity towards career exploration that is brings, has been instrumental in all of my job hunting processes and ultimately in my success in landing a job. I can confidently say that this absolutely would not have been possible without many of the opportunities from myCHOICE.