Expand Your Education
The goal of myCHOICE Education programming is to help you develop specialized skills and knowledge through mini-courses and workshops. Designed and adapted for doctoral and post-doctoral trainees in STEM disciplines, our offerings range from five to twelve hours in length and cover topics ranging from lab management and science communications to entrepreneurship, finance, and science policy.
Summer Quarter 2023 Mini-CoursesReg.
- Financial Skills for Scientists | 5 sessions, June 13th – June 27th, 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM | Virtual (Zoom)
After submitting a registration form, you will be notified of whether you gained a seat in the class as soon as possible.
Requirements and Expectations of Education Participants
- Our mini-courses are designed for graduate and postdoctoral trainees in the BSD, PSD, and PME, and registration preference may be given to that audience. However, most mini-courses are open to all community members, regardless of division, employment/training status, or university affiliation.
- By enrolling in a mini-course, the Trainee is committing to attending ALL sessions of that course.
- By enrolling in a mini-course, the Trainee agrees to promptly complete surveys related to the course.
- Agile Project Management: Scrum Bootcamp (Summer 2019)
- Alan Alda Communicating Science Workshop (Winter 2017)
- American Institute of Biological Sciences: Communication Bootcamp for Scientists
- Articulating Your Research: Papers, Posters, Grants, and Presentations (Autumn 2022)
- Becoming a Resilient Scientist co-facilitated with UChicago BSD Office of Postdoctoral Affairs
- Biomedical Science and Policy (Spring 2016)
- Business of Life Science — Financing Innovation
- Business of Running a Lab: Biosciences (Autumn 2022)
- Business of Running a Lab: Computational Research (Spring 2022)
- Business of Running a Lab: Fieldwork-Based Research (Spring 2022)
- Career Initiation Program (2021-2022)
- Communication and Collaboration in a Hybrid World
- Communications Bootcamp (2018)
- Conflict Management and Effective Communication
- Conquering Presentation Anxiety: Improv for Scientists (Summer 2017)
- Course Design as a STEM Professor or Outreach Professional
- Creating and Selling Your Story: An Entrepreneurial Approach to Communicating the Value of Your Research
- Creating Powerful Research Presentations (Spring 2023)
- Critical Communications Skills for PhD Trainees
- Effective Writing in the Biological Sciences (Spring 2022)
- Elements of Successful Teaching in the Sciences
- Emotional Intelligence: How EQ Trumps IQ
- Enabling Interdisciplinary and Team Science
- Entering Mentoring
- Ethics of Big Data Analytics in the Sciences
- How to Clearly Communicate Your Work to Any Audience (2020)
- How to Effectively Communicate Your Research to Any Audience
- Introduction to Analytics
- Introduction to Effective Teaching in STEM
- Introduction to Emerging Technologies
- Introduction to FDA & US Regulatory Affairs
- Introduction to Intellectual Property and Technology Commercialization
- Intro to Clinical Trials and Bayesian Designs
- Landscape of Science Policy (Winter 2018)
- Language and Concepts of Business
- Leadership Design Lab (Spring 2022)
- Leadership Excellence And Development
- Messaging Your Research for Video
- Networking for Nerds
- Perfecting Your Pitch Presentation
- Preparing an Academic Manuscript
- Preparing an NIH F-Series Grant Application
- Project Management Fundamentals for Scientists
- Science Sketches…the two minute challenge!
- Scientific and Medical Articles: The Essentials
- Scientific Teaching Workshop
- SciPhD: Preparing for Professional Careers (Autumn 2022)
- Strategies and Processes of Negotiation (Summer 2022)
- Strategies for Successful Team Management
- The Art of Successful Grantsmanship: What You Need to Know Before You Write
- Transforming Priorities into Science Policy (Spring 2021)
- Transforming Priorities into Science Policy (Winter 2023)
- Unleashing Your Power as a Scientist: How to Make an Impact from Campus to Congress, in your Community and Corporate America
- Why Relationship Intelligence (RQ) is Critical to Success (Spring 2023)
- Wrapping Your Head Around STEM Fellowship Applications: Where to Start and How to Succeed
- Writing Skills for Science Communication and Marketing Careers
The myCHOICE program, and the general feeling of positivity towards career exploration that it brings, has been instrumental in all of my job hunting processes and ultimately in my success in landing a job. I can confidently say that this absolutely would not have been possible without many of the opportunities from myCHOICE.