Professional Development Treks
A key goal of a myCHOICE Experience is to provide real-world practical experience in a specific career field beyond academic research. The Trek format allows trainees to travel with a cohort of trainees with similar interests to a hand-picked selection of companies and/or organizations within a single field. The Trek is ideal for individuals who have largely decided on a specific career trajectory and are building their professional network towards that outcome.
Upcoming: Sustainable Materials
November 17 – 20, 2020
The Sustainable Materials virtual trek will offer senior graduate students and postdocs the opportunity to speak with a broad variety of companies where PhDs are working to evolve sustainable materials. For more details on the site visit schedule and to begin your application, click HERE.
Requirements & Expectations of all myCHOICE Virtual Trek participants
- Graduate students, postdoctoral scientists, and alumni (within two years of leaving UChicago) in the Biological Sciences Division, Physical Sciences Division, or Pritzker School for Molecular Engineering are welcome to apply.
- By accepting a seat in the Trek, the trainee is committing to attend all videoconference meetings during the Trek.
- Upon completion of the Trek, you will reflect on your experience and next steps in a short statement (<500 words).
Photos from past Treks
What trainees are saying about Treks
Attending the myChoice Computational Biology trek (2019) was an amazing experience because it allowed me to get exposure to a wide range of interesting companies in the SF Bay Area. Through this experience I was motivated to steer my job search to look specifically for smaller companies with a genomics platform. Afterwards I was lucky enough to have the hiring manager from one of my favorite companies reach out so I could interview for a position, and I got the job! It was nice because I had a chance to talk with people from that company extensively during one of the dinner networking events, which contributed to the interview offer. Overall I would highly recommend this trek to future students! Thank you MyChoice!
- Business of Science Trek to New York City (Summer 2019)
- Regulatory Affairs Trek at Vanderbilt University (Winter 2019)
- Biotech & Biopharma Trek to Boston (Summer 2017)
- Biotech & Biopharma Trek to Boston (Fall 2018)
- Science Policy Trek to Washington, DC (Fall 2016)
- Science Policy Trek to Washington DC (Winter 2018)
- Data Science and Computational Biology Trek to the San Francisco Bay Area (Fall 2017)
- Data Science and Computational Biology Trek to the San Francisco Bay Area (Winter 2019)