Experience: Professional Development Treks
A key goal of a myCHOICE Experience is to provide real-world practical experience in a specific career field beyond academic research. The trek format allows trainees to travel with a cohort of trainees with similar interests to a hand-picked selection of companies and/or organizations within a single field. The trek is ideal for individuals who have largely decided on a specific career trajectory and are building their professional network towards that outcome.
Most Recent Trek: Science Policy Trek 2018
The Science Policy Trek to Washington DC (March 12 – 15, 2018) introduced senior graduate students and postdocs who are seriously considering careers in science policy to the broad variety of jobs available to them in the nation’s capitol. The application for this Trek is now closed.
- Data Science and Computational Biology Trek to the San Francisco Bay Area (Autumn 2017)
- Biotech & Biopharma Trek to Boston (Summer 2017)
- Science Policy Trek to Washington, DC (Fall 2016)
Requirements & Expectations of all myCHOICE Trek participants
- In addition to the trek-specific application (found through the links below), become a myCHOICE Trainee by submitting the myCHOICE Trainee Application.
- In order to participate in a long-distance trek, you must be a graduate student or postdoctoral trainee in the UChicago Biological Sciences Division. Local treks are open to all community members.
- Upon completion of the trek, reflect on your experience and next steps in a short statement (< 500 words).
- myCHOICE will cover the airfare and hotel accommodations related to the trip. The trainee is responsible for daily transportation, meals, and any other expenses.