A key focus of the myCHOICE program is to develop professional skills in its trainees and skill-building topics can be found throughout our programmatic offerings. The “What Can I Do with My PhD?” career seminar series has included themes as diverse as mentorship, creating a professional LinkedIn profile, interviewing skills, and developing a compelling CV, while workshops have taken deeper dives into professional skills such as team management, negotiation, and science communications. and exposes trainees to the broad variety of careers for which their PhD has well-prepared them. These skills are critical to the successful pursuit of all professional careers and will provide myCHOICE trainees a selective advantage in today’s competitive workforce.
Principles and Pitfalls in Poster Design (Summer 2020)
This tab is new in Summer 2020, but as relevant events are announced they will be linked here.
- Emotional Intelligence: How EQ Trumps IQ (Autumn 2020)
- Strategies for Successful Team Management (June – July 2020 – recurring)
- Project Management Fundamentals (June 2020 – recurring)
- Leadership Effectiveness and Development (LEAD) (May 2020 – recurring)
- Conflict Resolution (March 7, 2020 – recurring)
- Strategies and Processes of Negotiation (February 2020 – recurring)
- Effective Writing in the Biological Sciences (Oct. – Nov. 2019 – recurring)
- Critical Communication Skills for PhD Trainees (Spring 2019)
- Perfecting Your Pitch Presentation (March 12 & 19, 2019)
- Networking for Nerds (November 12, 2017)
- Conquering Presentation Anxiety: Improv for Scientists (July 11, 2017)
- Entering Mentoring (Spring 2017)
- Alan Alda Communicating Science Workshop (February 9, 2017)